This chili bread bowl is one of those warm, cozy meals that can make my husband smile. He’s really the one that is in charge when we make this chili; I take a back seat and let him lead the way in the kitchen. This is the perfect meal to make together and eat together.
Check out Angela’s Chili Bread Bowl for your Big Game – or whenever you’re craving a warm, cozy meal!
Chili Bread Bowl
What you need:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound mild sausage
- 32 ounces of Red Kidney Beans (canned)
- 28 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (use extra for the top)
- 1 KING’S HAWAIIAN Original Hawaiian Sweet Round Bread or KING’S HAWAIIAN Honey Wheat Round Bread (Each round can hold 2 servings, or 1 serving if you’re really, really hungry. We shared ours)
What to do:
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and sausage. In a large stock pot, combine tomato sauce, beans and seasonings. Bring to boil and then reduce to a simmer. Add cooked beef and sausage to sauce. Let simmer 30 minutes or until beans are tender. Add in cheese, stir until melted. (Save a little cheese for the top, or use extra cheese on the top when serving)
For the bread bowl:
Carefully use a sharp knife to cut the top of the round bread, angle the knife down to cut the center out of the bread. This will create the bowl. Be extra careful not to cut the sides or the bottom. Once chili is ready, pour it into the bread bowl.
*We let our chili soak into the bread, shared the chili and then shared the chili soaked bread, but you could keep it all for yourself*
Makes: 6-8 servings