Oh the drama, the glamour, the special effects… and of course, the outfits! Watching our favorite stars and films to see who takes home the handsome little gold man sure sets the stage for friends and family to get together. So how does anyone do a black-tie event Hawaiian style? It’s easier than you think. All you need is a little Aloha, and if you’re a gracious host, you’re already living the island spirit.
- When friends gather on the islands, the host typically serves buffet style so that everyone can mingle and have time to actually enjoy their guests and party. A potluck keeps things even simpler and stress-free!
- Try emailing your invites and include an awards ballot for everyone to fill out with their predictions. You can award the winners at the end of your evening with a DVD of one of the nominated movies.
- Encourage everyone to cook their culinary best – try announcing prizes for ‘Best adapted recipe’, ‘Best Appetizer, and overall, ‘Best in Menu’ – all to be voted on by party attendees, of course.
- An invite reminder to “dress fabulous” is open for interpretation and usually includes some interesting outfits.
- Add an entryway version of your own red carpet to encourage a festive evening. This might include a literal red carpet from the party store, or merely a greeting party assigned to offer silly props of hats, boas, Hawaiian shirts, sequined accessories or wigs.
- Capture the night with a photographer friend who poses as paparazzi to encourage posing fun.