Are you ready for some football? If the answer is YES, then I have a recipe you’re going to love—tender pulled beef sandwiches with slaw on KING’S HAWAIIAN Original Hawaiian Sweet Sandwich Buns. It’s the perfect meal for having everyone over for the big game because you prep it in the morning (only takes a few minutes) and let your slow cooker do the rest of the work. It’s also a great dish for tailgating if you have a power source to keep the crockpot on warm. Or, if it’s not too far to travel it should stay warm on the way. Trust me, you’re going to love this delicious beef and crispy slaw—comfort food for sure on a chilly fall day!
Giving the ingredients a quick sauté in the frying pan ahead of time deepens the flavor and makes it incredibly rich and delicious. It’s so worth the extra 10 minutes, and I’ve made it easy so you can do it all in one pan. 15 minutes total work, and a HUGE payoff when your friends rave about your incredible football food!
3 to 5 pound beef bottom round roast
salt and pepper
1 TB EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
½ onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 c. French Onion soup
1 c. ketchup
¼ c. apple cider vinegar
½ c. brown sugar (packed)
3 TB A1 sauce
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 bag precut coleslaw
a few dashes of lime juice
3 TB of mayonnaise
fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- Trim fat from the roast and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat EVOO in a frying pan (if you have one with deep sides that would be ideal, or use a wok) and sauté onion and garlic for just a minute or two until fragrant. Remove from pan and place in slowcooker.
- Brown the roast in the same pan for just a minute or two on each side. You don’t want to cook it through, just sear it a little for a richer flavor. Remove from pan and place in slowcooker.
- In the same pan, combine the rest of the ingredients that will go in the slowcooker (French Onion soup through Worcestershire sauce). Stir and heat for a minute or two, just until the brown sugar is dissolved and ingredients are combined. Pour over beef and onions in the slowcooker.
- Heat in the slowcooker on high for 2 hours and on low for 5-6 more hours. Turn the roast a few times while cooking so each side gets a turn to baste in the sauce.
- Before serving, mix up the slaw veggies in a small bowl with a few dashes of lime juice, mayonnaise, and salt and pepper. This creates a crunchy, fresh slaw that’s not too wet or creamy. Remove the roast from the slowcooker. Using two forks, pull apart the roast until it’s shredded. Serve on top of KING’S HAWAIIAN Original Hawaiian Sweet Sandwich Buns, and top the beef with a little of the sauce from the slowcooker and the slaw. ENJOY the deep flavor of the meat and crisp slaw with the sweetness of the bun—it’s an amazing combination!
You’ll be the hit of the tailgating party, trust me—this recipe gets rave reviews.
Tip: you can freeze leftovers of the roast (if you have any) for up to two months. Or make ahead and simply defrost for game day. Little effort, huge payoff—now you’re ready for some football!